Dec 27, 2013

Falling Out of My Chair: Oculus Rift

Today, I'm going a tad off-road in my subject matter, but one of the many things I love is technology. (If I hadn't majored in B.S., I would totally have headed in the science writing direction.) And today, as we all begin to come out of our post-post-Christmas comas, I am taken by something that my grandfather said once. He said, (and this is me paraphrasing rather than a direct quote,) "in my lifetime, I've seen the first car drive in front of my house, I saw the first airplane to fly overhead, and I saw a man land on the moon."

Those are some pretty huge changes to experience in one life time. And I'm not sure it really equates to the changes Grandaddy saw, but I was feeling a bit of his awe Christmas morning as my son, a young game developer, opened his new Oculus Rift.

What, you ask, is an Oculus Rift? Only the coolest virtual reality device developed! Here it is in all it's glory, courtesy of the oculus web-site:
Yes, it connects to your PC, but the big piece - that goes on your head - in front of your eyes. What you would typically see on your PCs monitor, you see instead, inside the visor. What's more, turn your head and the game play turns with you. So imagine you're playing a typical role playing game on PC. You turn your head to the right and the camera that was filming turns to the right, and you see the game set over there. Turn your head left, and the view shifts with your head turn. Adjust your direction using the mouse and move forward or backwards with the up and down arrow keys.

I highly recommend that you do not look straight ahead and hit the arrow keys to the left or right. That's a recipe for falling out of your chair. (Note to self, install those seat belts you were thinking about installing.)

Sadly, my play time has to be restricted to just a few minutes at a time. Two minutes into it, (if I'm still sitting upright in my chair,) I begin to get carsick. So, I guess I'll have to leave the O.R. to this new gamer generation until my young developer develops something that doesn't make me feel the need to hurl.

Until then, I'll be dinkin' on all of my little ol' lady games and passtimes: solitaire, logic puzzles, and of course, blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment