Mar 15, 2013

How to Surround Yourself with People Who Are Smarter Than You - 101

About the only thing I've done right is to surround myself with people who are smarter than I am. Kids, husband, friends, (cat, dog - afterall, they've both trained me to open the door on command), and my writing buds - all of whom rank WAY above the cat and dog, and who, on all matters writing related, totally smoke the husband and kids.

As writers, we are advised to join critique groups with people who write better than us. At some point, somebody's got to be in the middle. But how do you go about acquiring those brilliant writing buds?

You NETWORK, Dudes. And if you're a writer wondering how to network with brilliant writers, then you're about to miss out on a whole mess of opportunity at the Virginia Festival of the Book - www.vabook.org . It all gets down Saturday, March 23rd, in Charlottesville, so opportunity? Got that. It's all free, so cost? Got that. There is an absolutely BRILLIANT line-up of writers, so people who are smarter than me? Got that too!

In addition to the plethora (look at me using all them big words that my smarter-than-me writer friends taught me),a plethora of authors who are milling about and taking advantage of the workshops, there are going to be very accessible writers giving those workshops: Joanna Bourne, Mary Jo Putney, Grace Burrowes, Jehanne Wake, Kristin Callihan, Lauren Willig, Deanna Raybourn, Tasha Alexander, Rosemary Stevens, Jeaniene Frost, Kim Harrison, Madeline Iva, Pamela Palmer, Vicki Petterson, Mary Burton, Liz Everly, Joshilyn Jackson, Joyce Lamb, and Lydia Netzer. And those are just the writers speaking on topics romanticky.

You say you're a shrinking violet, too shy to approach a writer you admire? Find me in the crowd. (To narrow it down, I'll be the one with the reading glasses on top of her head.) And I'm brazen, and I'll make you feel like we're not crashing a party of smart people and I'll introduce you to people I haven't even met yet! This event isn't just for writers though. It's for readers too!!!

So come out and meet me... and some smart writers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment