Nov 29, 2012

Jingle Blog, Jingle Blog, Jingle Blog Hop...

I am an absolute FRUIT CAKE for Christmas!





So when Jayne Ormerod at http://www.jayneormerod.blogspot.com/
(now go back track and check her out),  invited me to participate in this blog hop, don't you know I was jumpin' on that one-horse open bandwagon. What is a blog hop you ask? I'll tell you - it is THE place to do your Christmas shopping this year! Buy Fresh! Buy Local! Buy LOCALLY GROWN FRESH BOOKS!!!

And this is how you find some great reads by some writers you may not have met yet. So without further delay, I'd like to introduce you to my latest WIP (work-in-progress), soon-to-be released novel and in the meantime, you can check out the links to the right to my two paranormal novels: MOONSHINE, and ANGELS UNAWARES! (The perfect gift for your teen - the one who has already snarfed down the Twilight series, The Hunger Games, and is looking for another series to sink her teeth into.) As a little holiday shopping bonus, if you order one of my books and fire me an e-mail at sofie@sofiecouch.com, we can work out a way to get you an autographed bookplate for your copy.

LET'S HOP!

What is the working title of your book?


KEEPING UP WITH MR. JONES - coming to an on-line bookseller near you... in the very near future! 


Where did the idea come from for the book?


This story idea comes totally out of the title. I thought, hmmm, how cute. What if the Joneses were just one Jones and he's older, but looks can be deceiving, so everyone thinks he's this harmless old dude, but "snow on the roof top, fire in the furnace". I'm a sucker for a May-December romance. And I wanted to write about a real heroine - one who has real life issues, and kids, and mess.


What genre does your book fall under?


This story is a return to my original genre - romantic comedy. I had moved away from the comedies for a while, because, well, in real life, I'm just not that funny. It's sad really. My kids will confirm it. They tell me all the time, "Mom, that was totally NOT funny," but they're usually trying to supress a reaction that involves spewing liquids. So I'm gonna go with maybe sometimes I hit a funny bone. 


Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?


Okay, this is really fun. Mr. Jones is definitely John Forsythe - from the 1980s. (Dating myself.) And the heroine? I never know who my heroines are. I think she's a natural blonde... and in possession of a simple elegance... and middle aged... so it must be ME!!! (BWA HA HA HA HO. Guess I can be funny when I try.)

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?


(Disclaimer: I don't do single sentences.)
A middle aged "trophy wife" feels her world falling apart. Her teenage daughter dresses like a hooker, her oldest teen smells like pot, and her pre-teen, her baby, has a penchant for killing small animals. To top it all off, her husband just called home to announce that he's leaving her for his office assistant. Just when she thinks things couldn't get much worse, she bumps into her eccentric next-door-neighbor, Mr. Jones... with her car. Taking him in during his recovery might be more than she bargained for, because what woman half his age could be expected to KEEP UP WITH MR. JONES? 


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?


Self-Published! Why? Because I want to get my books out to readers as quickly as possible! (Let's call it a public service.)


How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?


I practically bled this book out in ONE MONTH! This was my National Novel Writing Month book and I just completed the first draft YESTERDAY!!! I'm thinkin', this might be the way for me to write all future books, because it truly felt like it wrote itself. Okay, my kids and husband know they get some credit for all of the cooking and cleaning slack they had to pick up, but hey, that's just more reason for me to write like this all the time. I figure, one month for edits and another month to create a cover and it should be ready for release early February 2013! (e-mail me if you want me to send you an e-mail when it's released: sofie@sofiecouch.com)


What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?


My writing style seems to emulate that other romantic comedy writer, Annette Couch-Jareb. She's HILARIOUS. You should check out her romantic comedy, coming out soon in re-release through Montlake Books. The title of that book is CYBER BRIDE. (Stupid title.) Okay, she's not really that funny either, but folks have told her she should write more romantic comedy. Hey, she should change her name to something catchier... something that pays hommage to some kid in middle school who dubbed her something silly, some silly nick name. I don't know. Maybe keep the "Couch" part of the name and link it to something, er, Sofa-ish. Sofie. Yeah. That's the ticket. Sofie Couch - only ten letters long, so she can use a larger font on the book cover! What marketing brilliance!!! 


Who or What inspired you to write this book?


This book was just a title dancing around in my bean and I was bored editing one of my other books, so I decided to take a break from editing and do some writing - maybe just one month of writing - like a month during NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). And blarg! I spit it out.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?


This one is an easy read. I tend to lean toward a cast of a thousand characters, and multiple sub-plots and complex thematic elements. This ain't that. 


So, that's me and what I've been up to. Now, off with your little elfish selves to do some more holiday shopping! Go check out some of these fabulous authors to see what they're up to!
On your next stop, visit:
Denise Golinowski's Gambol (she's a NaNoWriMo Winner!!)
http://denisegolinowski.blogspot.com/
(more blogs to come.)

No comments:

Post a Comment