May 19, 2012

Join Me in Welcoming, Jo Ramsey!

I am pleased to have as my guest today, Jo Ramsey, author of DOLPHINS IN THE MUD. Join us as Jo talks about, "Someone to Lean On" as it relates to her new release.

Someone to Lean On All of us have situations in our lives that we can’t handle on our own. At those times, it’s important to have someone to lean on so we can get through whatever we’re dealing with. For teenagers, that someone is often a friend or a parent or other family member. Fortunately, most of us have at least one person we can count on when we need to. But what if you can’t find anyone? And what if all around you, others are trying to lean on you? In my novel Dolphins in the Mud, that’s the situation sixteen-year-old Chris Talberman finds himself in. For several years, Chris’s mother has leaned on him to help with his younger sister Cece, who has autism. Although Chris sometimes struggles with the way his sister acts, he feels like he can’t talk to anyone about it. His mother gets upset when Cece’s disability is mentioned, and Chris’s father works so much that he barely seems aware that he has a son. Six months after moving to Wellfleet, Massachusetts, Chris doesn’t have any friends to lean on either, until he meets Noah Silver. In Noah, Chris believes he may have found a friend, and possibly more. And he may finally have someone he can talk to. But things go from bad to worse when Chris’s mother chooses to leave the family. Now Chris’s father leans on him to help with Cece, and Chris finds that not only can he not talk to his father about his own feelings, but he can’t count on Noah either. When you’re a teenager, sometimes you have more responsibility than you’re ready to handle. Instead of being able to rely on your parents, you may find that they now depend on you to help keep the family running. You have responsibilities in school and possibly at work. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, especially if you have a younger sibling with a disability and are put in a position of responsibility with that sibling. Sometimes we aren’t able to find someone to lean on when we really need to, but it’s important to keep trying. Ask for help from a teacher or other school staff member if you can’t find the support you need at home or from friends. Keep in mind that you deserve to have someone to depend on, and that you shouldn’t have to carry everything yourself.

Dolphins in the Mud is coming soon from Featherweight Press, http://www.featherweightpublishing.com.
To find out more about Jo Ramsey and her books, visit her website at http://www.joramsey.com or join her Facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/148370091840937/.

Dolphins in the Mud blurb: When Chris Tablerman's family moved to Wellfleet, Massachusetts, Chris left behind his boyfriend and friends. Six months later, Chris still feels alone. When a pod of dolphins strand themselves on the cove outside Chris's house, his autistic younger sister, Cece, runs out to see them. A boy named Noah Silver helps catch Cece before she gets hurt. Noah is even more alone than Chris, and he's just as eager to find a friend. Then everything goes downhill -- Chris's mother leaves, putting Chris's workaholic father in charge. With no one else to talk to, Chris turns to Noah, and their relationship deepens. But Noah has problems he isn't willing to share.

Excerpt:
After a couple minutes, I heard footsteps upstairs. Then Noah came down the staircase. He looked a little confused, but he smiled at me and said, “Hi. Dad told me you were here.
 “You told me to stop by,” I reminded him. “There wasn’t anything going on at my house, so I figured I’d see if you wanted to hang out for a while.”
“Sure.” His smile brightened. “I don’t usually have company. Dad wasn’t quite sure what to think about it, I think. He asked me a bunch of questions about you.”
“I guess parents are like that.” I shifted my feet and stuck my hands in my pockets. “Does he have a problem with me being here?”
“No, not at all,” Noah said quickly. “He just isn’t used to me having friends over. Um, neither am I, really.” He paused and looked around. “How about I show you the house and then we can see what’s in the kitchen?”
“Sounds good.” I wasn’t all that hungry, but I definitely wouldn’t turn down food. Eating would give us something to do, at least. We went through the foyer into a large room that stretched across the width of the house. Windows on both sides looked out onto the water. The chairs and couches—two couches—were covered with a sort of beigey-tan plush fabric. A low black table sat in front of one of the couches, and a few smaller, higher black tables were scattered around.
“The living room,” Noah said. “Not that we really live in here most of the time.”
I decided not to follow up on that comment. “Nice view.”
“Yeah. We don’t look at it much.” He frowned for a second then smiled at me again. “The kitchen’s through here.”
The kitchen was on the opposite side of the foyer wall, and the only way to enter it was through the living room. The stainless steel appliances were big enough to handle a family of eight or ten. An island topped with black granite sat in the middle of the room with two round stools beside it. Through a doorway at the opposite side of the room I saw a rectangular dark wood table and figured that was the dining room.
Noah opened the fridge. “Come pick out what you want to eat. Your choice. We have plenty, and I don’t think my parents will even notice anything’s missing.”
Another weird comment that I decided not to ask about. I walked up beside him and looked into a fridge that contained enough food to feed my family for a month or more. Some of the stuff didn’t even look familiar. I squinted to try to read the labels on the unfamiliar things then realized they weren’t in English and wouldn’t do me any good.

Nice, and thank you, Jo, for sharing a bit of your book and some advice about having someone to lean on!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for hosting me, Sofie! I'll be around off and on today to answer comments.

    ReplyDelete