Apr 21, 2012

Guest Blogger, Juli Alexander!

The Karma Beat


Not every seventeen-year-old girl works part time for the U.N.I.V.E.R.S.E., but when you’re a genie, you have obligations. I’d rather spend my time rocking with my older brother’s band. I’ve been waiting years to replace the last drummer. Just when it’s looking good for me, Leo Fuller shows up, and this bad boy genie’ s after more than just my drummer gig.



Male genies are dangerous, volatile, bad-boy types, and I’m finding him way too attractive. If we’re caught together, we could both lose our powers and be banished to the other realm. I know helping Leo will be a really bad idea. What I don’t know is why I’m doing it anyway.

THREE WISHES

This weekend I am celebrating the release of The Karma Beat. In this paranormal, YA romance, both the hero and the heroine are genies. Jen works for the U.N.I.V.E.R.S.E. granting wishes to people who have racked up enough Karma Points. Leo, well, he’s busy trying to clear his father’s name.
If you had three wishes, what would you wish for?
More wishes? Let’s assume that isn’t allowed.
Infinite power? Yeah, I don’t think they’ll go for that either.
Would you approach the wishes like a Christmas List?
new music
gift certificates for all my favorite clothing stores
the latest iPOD
some serious cash
a shiny red car

Or would you wield your three wishes like a plot to rule the world?
a magic wand
the ability to clone yourself
mind control over others
invisibility

Maybe you’d be more practical…
No more menstrual cramps
Perfect teeth and no more trips to the dentist
For calories to have no effect on my weight
To be an inch shorter/taller so that pants fit right
To know how to walk in heels
To be a rock star

Would you wish for millions of dollars? To be rich? In The Karma Beat, Jen grants those wishes with winning lottery tickets. Makes you wonder if all those lottery winners in the news really bought a ticket, doesn’t it?
Maybe you’re feeling generous. Maybe you want your wishes to help everybody…
World Peace, Ending Hunger, Clean water for everyone, Free Education, Equal Rights for everyone
In the book, Jen gets a Karmic cold when someone chooses one of the forbidden wishes. Forbidden wishes include World Peace and Ending Hunger. These wishes are wasted. The person wishing doesn’t get anything for the wish, and Jen gets a raging cold.

Other wishes that she cannot grant include: to be the most beautiful, richest, most powerful, etc. She can’t make someone the most of anything, but she can make them beautiful, rich, and/or powerful. She cannot grant a wish for somebody else to die, but she luckily only has to grant wishes to good people. Nobody gets that many Karma Points if they are evil.

Would a genie grant one of these wishes?
1. for a mean girl to get a giant zit
2. for her car to break down
3. for her boyfriend to dump her?
Probably, but hey! Why waste a wish on the mean girl?

Wishing for someone to love you could be the scariest wish of all. Most books with magic include a rule that you cannot take away someone else’s free will. Is that fair? What if it isn’t you wishing, but the nerdy guy who drives you crazy? Now you have to love him forever. Or what if you wish for hot guy to fall in love with you. If you get sick of him, do you have to wait for another genie to show up to get rid of him?

Being a genie interferes with Jen’s life, but she’s just glad she isn’t trapped in a bottle like her ancestors. Luckily, the genies were freed, to an extent, at the Treaty of the Bermuda Triangle.

Being a writer is a lot like being a mad scientist. Except your experiments are only on paper and cannot roam the countryside terrorizing the villagers.

If you had three wishes, what would you wish for?
If you could make a world with genies, what would your genies do?

Authors note: The forbidden wishes are from my mad scientist creation and may not reflect reality. If a genie shows up to grant you three wishes, give world peace and ending hunger a shot. I would hate to be responsible for that lost opportunity.

Bio: Juli Alexander writes books for teens. If she had three wishes, one would definitely be to train her dogs to do her laundry. She will release My Life as the Ugly Stepsister next month. Stirring up Trouble and Valentine's Day Sucks are available now. One of her short stories is featured in the upcoming anthology, Eternal Spring.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on the release of The Karma Beat, Juli! I just downloaded it and can't wait to read it.

    My three wishes (apart from publication ):
    1. Unlimited first-class international travel so I can see my family more often.
    2. To be cured of motion sickness (see wish #1)
    3. To never run out of good ideas.

    Love your blog, Sophie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa, Even I can grant that third wish, b/c you are way too awesome to run out of ideas. I wish I could grant one and two. The motion sickness thing is a pain. I use that patch and then for the first two days after that I'm kinda loopy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute blog, Juli. My three wishes? I thought about asking for eternal youth but I'd get bored for sure. So trying to be more practical, hmmm. How about no more meal planning? I don't mind cooking so much if someone will plan the meals. Oh yes, and buy the groceries I need to cook with. Okay, is that two wishes? What does that leave that I need help with? Of course, the yard! The yard must be kept mowed and watered and raked neatly. Can I cram all of that into my one last wish? Yes? Now where's a genie when you need one? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Carolynn. You are very practical. :) I think eternal youth would get old, but I might still try it. I think you should just wish for unlimited funds to pay a gardener, meal planner, and errand-runner. Then you'd have two more wishes. :) Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading The Karma Beat. It was great. If I had three wishes I'd want a maid to cook and clean. I hate cleaning I guess because my mom made me do it when I was growing up and I'd have rather been writing. I don't mind cooking, but if I had someone to plan and cook meals for me maybe I could devote that extra time to working out with a personal trainer. My final wish would be to have enough money to travel around the world and see it all. I guess my wishes seem pretty self absorbed, but then isn't that what wishes are for?

    Good luck with Karma Beat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leanne! I'm so with you on the cooking and cleaning. And personal trainer. Perfection! I think wishes should be self-absorbed. Especially if you've earned them by being such a good person anyway. :)

      Delete
  6. By the way, I think Carolynn's wishes are a sign that she is very happy with her life as it is. May we all have such luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish 1) To have very cool people guest blog on my site.
    Poof. Granted.
    Wish 2) To meet a lot of interesting people!
    Poof. Granted.
    Wish 3) To top 4,000 clicks on my blogsite.
    POOF. GRANTED. Ka-Bam! Way to go Juli! And great blog! Thanks for being my guest. You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sofie! I had a blast. Moonshine looks great, and I'm putting on my payday purchase list.

    ReplyDelete